Friday, April 2, 2010

Growing up with Asperger's

Today is Autism Awareness Day.  I thought I'd jot down some random disconnected thoughts about my experience as a high-functioning autistic. 

I've never felt human. I don't know what humans feel like, exactly, but I'm pretty sure I'm not like that. As far back in my childhood as I can remember I was different.   At some point I decided I wasn't actually human ... I was an exile living amongst them, condemned to a life of isolation with the poo-throwing monkeys.


When other kids were reading their books I devoured entire biographies of Joan of Arc, Elizabeth I, and Queen Victoria.  History books, science books, you name it, I read it.  My mind is kind of like Wikipedia as an adult except that the links are surreal.  I tend to blurt out strange things as a result.  Example: my sister started talking about some new candy bar she had eaten and why she had liked it.  My response: "I had Rolos last week." *awkward silence* Yes, I sounded like a complete retard.  But somehow the link makes sense to me.  Here's how it went (except no words, it's more pictures and sensations):

candy bars ... what are my favorite candy bars? ... Hmm, I like Rolos ... I had some Rolos last week ... Twix ... they're kinda like Rolos with a cookie inside! ... hunh, both of them are chocolate and caramel ... do I especially like candy bars with chocolate and caramel? ... yeah, I like Milky Ways ... but not Three Musketeers ... Three Musketeers have the nougat but not the caramel, so that's a good control ...

Out of the box thinking?  I don't even have a box.

As a child I would feel horribly awkward and sink into myself.  As an adult I've come to realize that there's a certain segment of the population that actually finds this charming (I suspect this population also can recite Monty Python sketches verbatim).  Luckily, I've found some of them. 

No comments: