Friday, May 14, 2010

Learning Disabilities

Dear Stephen Fry (two of my personal favorite ABOFAL sketches here and here) posted a link on Twitter to a charity dedicated to removing the stigma from people with "learning disabilities".  Not his phrase, they use it on their website.  In fact, as an Aspie married to a clinically depressed dyscalculeic, I wholeheartedly support their mission and encourage you to support it.  However, as I have Tweeted before, the phrase "learning disability" really pisses me off.

Allow me to explain.  There's a reason autistic people are no longer called "mentally retarded".  It's because research has shown that often people on the autistic spectrum, particularly those with Asperger's Syndrome, have IQs well above-average.  (Insert your own comment about how IQ tests are negatively biased against the neurodiverse here.  Think about it, who writes them?)  Our brains are wired differently than is neurotypical, true, but it does not mean we are disabled.  Does it mean that we process things differently than 99.99% of the population?  Yes.  Does it mean that, as a teacher, you may have to use *shock* a different teaching strategy for these kids?  Yes, yes it does. 

Here's what I really want to say to my neurodiverse brothers and sisters, whether you are on the autistic spectrum or are dyslexic or dyscalculeic or dysnumeric or dysgraphic, etc.:

Your mental faculty is a gift. 

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.  While the neurotypical are a homogenous bunch and tend to produce homogenous thoughts, we are the ones thinking differently.  The truly great, bizarre ideas will come from our heads, because they are not restricted to the narrow, stereotyped patterns of the majority. 

Learn to use your gift.  There will be obstacles, I won't lie to you.  It will be hard.  You may have to figure out how to teach yourself, I did.  But the rewards are worth it.  There are people who will love you for who you are, don't hide it.  If you do, you will be miserable (ask me how I know this).

Oh, and in case Stephen Fry ever reads this:  my name is Agatha.  Yes, I am named after her.

No comments: