Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Things Neurotypicals Like, Episode 1: Cornhole

This is going to be a new feature on my blog.  It's going to discuss things neurotypicals seem to like, but I don't get.  First up, the national sport of Indiana: cornhole.

I have two kids in school, so I know they're not really learning anything there.  Fortunately they can both read, so they get these things at the library ... that have information in them ... if only they had a name ... oh, right, books.  They go a couple of times a week and are required to obtain non-fiction books as well as novels.  It makes for some interesting conversations, such as when you have to answer the "Mama, what's the Holocaust?" question from One of Two, but he's ten and old enough to learn that real monsters aren't the things hiding in your closet.  Which is why I was irritated by this:


 
Asperger's Moment alert!  Let's examine the diorama this child has obviously spent a while creating.  I don't want to take anything away from his work, it's nicely put together, but it's got some serious historical inaccuracies (not to mention the fact that the name of the battle is spelled incorrectly).  Take a second to look really hard at the jeep just above the word "battle".  Yes, the one with the U.S. markings on it.  The Battle of El-Alamein was fought between the Germans and the British*.  The second battle of El-Alamein was fought in November 1942, before Operation Torch landed American forces in North Africa.  Please, go to the library and do some research or get on the computer and use Wikipedia.  It only takes a minute and you'll learn something.  Montgomery's ability to stop Rommel's Afrika Korps from taking the Suez Canal was kind of a big deal.  Remember kids: "Before Alamein we never had a victory; after Alamein we never had a defeat."  
*Great Britain, New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and India, since they're no longer part of the Commonwealth

Which brings me naturally to cornhole.  OK, that connection isn't obvious, the diorama above was on display at the Indiana State Fair, which is where I also saw this:

Let's examine the cornhole *snicker* phenomenon for just a second.  Here's the game:  you have a bag full of corn kernels that you throw at a piece of wood with a hole in it.  I gather you can control the degree of "difficulty" by changing the angle of the holey board.  Now, I want to get out front that "cornhole" is the most unfortunately named leisure activity ever.  In the history of anything.  If you're my age you have an immediate image of Beavis running around with his t-shirt pulled up over his head yelling "Bunghole!" The dear, sweet Hoosiers, however, are generally oblivious to this connection and meet "Cornhole?  Are you threatening me?" with bemused grins.  In fact, they don't get that the name "cornhole" is funny in and of itself without the Beavis and Butthead reference.  So much so that my employer gleefully encourages us to cornhole for fitness.  I even have a red t-shirt they gave me that says "CORNHOLE" in big white letters across the chest.  If only they had put it on some shorts.  How much fitness is standing in one place and lobbing beanbags a few feet going to get you?   Now, look at the price: $150 for a couple of unpainted pieces of wood, each with a hole in it, and a couple of bags of corn kernels.  I've seen other sets cost as much, so somebody is paying this ridiculous amount of money for them.  I don't get it.  For $150 I can get three XBOX games and have way more fun shooting Nazis or collecting Lego studs.  I guarantee my heart rate will be higher, as well.

No comments: